Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sometimes Reality Bytes

This is one of those times. I nearly deleted this blog entirely. My finger was hovering over the 'delete' button, but I thought, 'Now, let's not be too hasty.' so I took the dog for a walk around the Big Block. It's a cold autumn day, brisk, wet but not rainy, with leaves on the ground. Very pretty, actually.

I feel very sorry for America right now. People have made a terrible decision. I don't feel sorry for myself because I'm getting old and I won't have to deal with the consequences the way my children and grandchildren will. They're not going to have an easy time of it, not any easier then my parents. I guess that makes me fortunate. I'll get to bail.

The title of this blog, Reality Bytes: I guess you can take it a lot of ways. It fits for today, but it also fits an interest of mine that I would like to explore. That is the 'nature of reality.' What's going on, really? Science tries to tell us. Religion does, too. They seem diametrically opposed and certainly science's disdain of religion has pushed them further apart. I suspect they've both got it wrong. Science provides a great deal of data and details, but it lacks a big picture. Religion has a big picture, but most of its details are wrong. Reality, I suspect, is far different than either supposes. I think science has thrown the baby out with the bath water in its treatment of religion. The problem with religion is that it mistakes its own metaphors for reality.

I find myself following the footsteps of my grandfather, a fellow named Elum Mizell Russell, an MD who wrote his own little book on this subject entitled
Evolution and the Bible, which I just happen to have typed up for your reading pleasure. In any case, that's the general direction I'll be headed in for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment